Categories

MyLife
Opinions
OnTheNet
Shows
Miscellaneous
RandomKnowledge

Links

My Sister
S & M
Jiangzheng

Yiheng's Photos
Shuquan's Photos
Pei Yee's Photos
Yun Qin's Photos

#!/usr/bin/girl

Archive

February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
November 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

   

Saturday, September 24, 2005
Strange numbers

In today's Straits Times Forum,
Ex-link system highly reliable

...About 4.1 million transactions are processed successfully each day, with the system achieving 99.9 per cent reliability.

Cases of wrong deductions have decreased from 0.27 per cent to 0.006 per cent from last July to July this year...

One or two cases of lost communication between driver's console and reader are reported each month...

Director, Corporate Communications, Land Transport Authority

If I didn't get this wrong, 4.1 million successful transactions and 0.006% wrong deductions implies that about 246 deductions are wrong in a day, which is more than 7000 cases in a month!

The system is 99.9% reliable, eh? That means 0.1% of unsuccessful transactions for every 4.1 million successful ones a day. That would give us about 123000 cases a month!

Strangely, only 1 or 2 cases of lost communication (lost communication can obviously be considered unsuccessful transaction) are reported. This is weird.

"Beep! Beep! Uh-oh, the machine is not reading my card! Awesome, I'll just pay cash even though it's more expensive. I just love the sound of coins!" And then the same thing happens for the next 123000 people for the entire month before one guy says "Uncle arh, your bus machine not reading my card leh!"


-- permalink --
Yiheng made
5:18 PM

2 Comments:

Interesting stats. I wonder if they realize what you calculated. I remember reading somewhere that even though 80% chance of winning is equivalent to 20% chance of losing, people are more likely to bet on it if they hear the former.
By Anonymous Anthony, at 3:41 PM  

You raised an interesting point man. The next time an officer gives me saikang I'll tell him I only have 20% chance of completing the task without errors.
By Anonymous Yiheng, at 6:46 PM  

Post a Comment


 

   


Previous Posts

Advent Children

吾明 1/3 ......(unicode-UTF8)

Google Earth

Pulau Semakau

Fashion?

All about socks

Cameras

Cyborg Name Generator

'Tis an unusual day

How my friends almost got a free meal...

Current Read

七侠五义

Last Three Books

道德經

The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology
Arthur Cotterell, Rachel Storm


Momo
Michael Ende

Those Before

孫子兵法


Paycheck: And Other Classic Stories By
Philip K. Dick


Mirror Mirror: A Novel
Gregory Maguire


American Gods
Neil Gaiman


Maya 5 Fundamentals
Garry Lewis, Jim Lammers


Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
J. K. Rowling